Do you suffer from coughs, allergies, rashes, breathing problems, or other health issues while at home— but you can’t figure out why? Many of us have wondered, is my house making me sick? Sometimes, it can be hard to pinpoint the exact cause.
It can be frustrating to feel sick and not know why, but several causes within the house can lead to health problems.
Keep reading to learn the top signs that your home is making you sick— plus what you can do about it.
Is My House Making Me Sick? Probably, If It’s Dusty
Although we always dust the fireplace mantle, bookshelves, and flat surfaces, dust can be present everywhere in the home–even if you can’t see it.
Dust can cause allergies, especially for those with asthma or breathing problems. It can also be home to dust mites, microscopic creatures that can weaken your immune system.
To ensure your home is clean, use a vacuum with a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter, which ensures it picks up dust while vacuuming and not released back into the air.
Have You Noticed Water Damage or Humidity in Your Home?
If you’ve had storm damage, flooding, leaking pipes, or problems with condensation in the bathroom or kitchen, your home may have suffered from water damage.
Unfortunately, water damage and humidity often lead to mold. Mold and mildew love damp, dark places, so you may not even know it’s there— it’s common under kitchen sinks, in basements, or the bathrooms.
It’s important to understand symptoms of mold toxicity, as it can cause issues such as allergies, wheezing, asthma, and rashes.
Why is my house making me sick? If you’ve been experiencing unexplained health issues, mold could be to blame.
Check Your Cleaning Products
When cleaning your home, what products do you use? Some cleaning products are harsh and can cause eye irritation and skin problems, especially if you’re using them without gloves.
For a healthier alternative, make your own natural cleaning products with white vinegar, essential oils, and castile soap.
When Was the Last Time You Replaced Your Pillows?
Why is something in my house making me sick? If you can’t figure out what it is, it could be your pillows or bedding.
Pillows and old mattresses can be home to dust mites, unhealthy for those with allergies.
To make sure dust mites aren’t an issue, replace your pillows regularly or look for allergy-safe pillowcases. Try to also wash bedding, pillows, and blankets in hot water.
Always make sure they’re completely dry before putting them away to avoid mold and mildew developing.
Protect Your Household Today
If you’re wondering ‘Is my house making me sick?’, take note of the points above. Do any sound familiar?
If so, there’s a good chance that something in your home is responsible for your ill health.
However, you don’t have to live with the problem— consider hiring a professional cleaner or mold removalist or replacing your bedding and see if it helps. Also, always speak to your doctor about your concerns.
Before you know it, you’ll be on the road to better health!
Did you find this article helpful? If so, please browse some of our additional content.